Determining English language proficiency through ACCESS.
WIDA ACCESS helps the district determine proficiency levels and effectiveness of ESOL programs.
ACCESS for ELLs is administered, annually, to all English learners in Georgia. The ACCESS testing window for Cobb County this year is January 13, 2021 through March 5, 2021. ACCESS for ELLs is a standards-based, criterion referenced English language proficiency test designed to measure English learners’ social and academic proficiency in English. It assesses social and instructional English, as well as the language associated with language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies within the school context across the four language domains. ACCESS for ELLs meets the federal requirements that mandates states to evaluate EL students in grades K through 12 on their progress in learning to speak English.
ACCESS for ELLs is used to determine the English language proficiency levels and progress of ELs in the domains of speaking, listening, reading, and writing. ACCESS for ELLs serves five main purposes. These include:
- determining the English language proficiency level of students;
- providing districts with information that will help them evaluate the effectiveness of their ESOL programs;
- providing information that enhances instruction and learning in programs for English language learners;
- assessing annual English language proficiency gains using a standards-based assessment instrument;
- providing data for meeting federal and state requirements with respect to student assessment.
Learn more about the WIDA ACCESS for ELLs here.
Melissa Sisk, Supervisor, Elementary & Middle School Assessment